torsdag 25 november 2010

In keeping of beautiful things: Closet care pt.I

I've had this in mind a long time, even before I moved actually but I think it's better now, my old closet was probably a bit too good. My current closet is a more common walk in with less space and shelfs so let's get to it.
First of all, get out all your stuff and start from scratch, if it's wort doing it's worth doing properly. The same rules as with the jewlery apply here: If you don't love it don't keep it!
Once you're done sorting that out you might want to think over how you want to divide the space, is your closet all lolita or do you have a dress up wardrobe that differ greatly from your everyday things? What's your closet situatuon? Do you have one big space or many small ones? Device a closet plan that caters to your style, your space and your needs.
This is my closet when it's empty, super boring, no shelf for shoes and a hat rack so high up that I actually can't reach it without a chair or something else to stand on.
In short not really my dream space but it's what I got for now.
I would do something about it but the apartment it a rental so I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to tinker around with stuff without upsetting the landlord and I don't even know how long I'm staying here anyway so I'll leave it be for now.First order of business is to find matching hangers for your entire closet, my favourite are theese black plastic hangers that you often get for free when shopping from Innocent world or Baby, the stars shine bright. I know alot of my friends hate them but I love how thin and lightweight they are, especially now that I have a smaler closet. They also fit all kinds of clothes becayse of how many different hooks they have.
As for hanging I have a couple of tips:
  • Don't leave waist ties and bows tied for storage, if you don't tie them at the exact same place when you wear them it leaves the ribbon scrunched in the wrong place.
  • Choose a display order for your clothes, it can be by print, colour, season, brand or whatever you prefer.
  • Have one or a couple of ready coordinations on the hanger for wardrobe emergency occasions.
  • The hangers "hook" shoul be open towards you when it's hanging, it makes it easier to take on and of the rack.
  • If you have irreplaceble or expensive dresses you can give them some extra temporary protection by storing them in the clear plastic covers you get when you buy the dress new or dry clean it. If you're putting it away for a long time you should make a similar case but from a neutral coloured natural fabric.
  • Keep an even space between the hangers and have them all face the same direction or it'll look messy.
  • Don't hang cutsews and knits, they will stretch.

Coats and heavier jackets should probably be hung on sturdier hangers since mine are starting to get slightly bent from the weight. Bloomers and petticoats usualy come with litte ribbons on the inside of the waistband so that they can be hung on the same hangers as everything else but I was lucky enough to find a clip hanger that match my other things perfectly so I use that.That's it for part one!

3 kommentarer:

bunni ★ sa...

This is really helpful!

Wow, I've always had the hangers the other way! xD; I'll try it facing me and see how it goes. (:




http://lovelyseaprincess.blogspot.com/

Josephine Valentine sa...

Caylee ★: I'm glad you think so! I find it much more practical this way but as always it can ofcourse be a matter of taste ^_^

Öronräv sa...

One of the better choises I made was to take my time and put up new wallpaper and paint the shelves in my closet right when I moved in.

I'm renting too, so I wasn't really sure if I was allowed to do that.
But as the previous tenants had left the walls and ceiling full of crayon markings and plaster without consequence I figured the landlord wasn't that touchy about the state of closets.
Differs from landlord to landlord, ofc.